My Blog List

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Lord, you are our home

While in Bolivia last week my new roommate made a really neat connection as she was reading Psalm 90 in her Spanish translation Bible. The Spanish Bible translates verse 1 as "nuestra casa" -literally "our house." God is our house, our home, our forever dwelling place. 

In just a couple of days I am moving to the other side of the country. Moving to a new place is always exciting but always hard. Making new friends but leaving behind old ones. Engaging in a new church while disengaging from the old one. Missing family. Missing home. But remembering that God is my home wherever my new home may be. 

In these words from her poem "Awakening," Gunilla Norris offers us a day- break prayer:
          First thought -- as in "first light" -- let me be aware that I waken in You.
          Before I even think that I am in my bed
          let me think that I am in You.
          Each hour wake me further to find You.
          Let me relish in You, exult in You, play in You, be faithful in You.
          Let me be wholly present to living the gift of time.


Oregon, my new home


Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting: 
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting, And cometh from afar: 
Not in entire forgetfulness, And not in utter nakedness, 
But trailing clouds of glory do we come From God, 
who is our home


-William Wordsworth